This was a heartfelt farewell from a school where Terry served as an interim principal.
Why is Terry running?
• Terry believes that getting an educator on board will strengthen our BOE and our public schools.
• Terry brings 38 years’ experience as a teacher and administrator in Essex County.
• For Terry, serving on the WOBOE is her ONLY goal as a public servant.
• Terry emphasizes trust, honesty, respect, and collaboration as the cornerstones of a healthy school district.
As an Educator, Terry stands for:
• Education is a collaborative commitment to our children. Our schools must sincerely engage our parents, staff, and community in the process.
• A “continuous improvement model” using data analysis to evaluate existing programs and new ones.
• Supporting diversity in staff training and staff hiring.
• Respecting the concerns of parents of students with special needs.
As a Taxpayer, Terry contends that:
• The community at large—parents, educators, and Board members—must lobby the State to fully fund our public schools.
• Budgets must be fiscally responsible, efficient, transparent, and effective.
• Successful public schools underpin our community’s value and prosperity.
• Shared services with our municipality and neighboring school districts should be considered where mutually beneficial.
As a Parent, Terry cares about:
• The Whole Child-- children learn best when they are healthy, safe, engaged, challenged, and supported.
• Teaching is more than testing-- to teach is to find a way for every child to succeed.
Who is Terry?
Terry is a parent, a West Orange homeowner since 1984, and a public-school professional with
38 years of experience. Terry is a former Assistant Superintendent of Schools (Montclair); a NJ Department of Education “Principal of the Year” (2001); an Educational Consultant and a member of Governor Phil Murphy’s “Education, Access & Opportunity Transition Committee”; and Past-President of the Essex County Retirees Education Association. Terry is a pro-active leader who achieves goals and encourages a positive collaborative environment.
Terry is a mother, a West Orange resident and taxpayer since 1984, and
a public school professional with 38 years of experience in education.
Terry Trigg-Scales and her campaign team need your help spreading the word to all of West Orange! You can volunteer to canvass, host a coffee, get a lawn sign, and more!
As a taxpayer, resident, and educator I have been disheartened to witness such strife and conflict in our district over the last few months. I believe that boards should be thoughtful in their deliberations and be proactive rather than reactive. My experience as an administrator has taught me that through a continuous improvement model we must evaluate programs and initiatives to ensure a quality education for all students. Trust, honesty, respect and collaboration are the cornerstones of a strong school district.
I’ve been a homeowner in West Orange since 1984 and an educator in The Montclair Public Schools for 38 years I have served as assistant principal, principal, director of curriculum, and retired as assistant to the superintendent. Thus, my experience includes supervision of staff, community relations, oversight for curriculum, instruction and assessment, and liaison to the Board. As someone very committed to public education, my work in education and advocacy continues, even in my retirement. My passion, expertise and desire to give back to my community have inspired my desire run for the West Orange Board of Education.